Looking to reduce common jet lag?
Ground yourself as soon as possible after landing and flying through multiple times zones. Here are some ideas how: sit, stand, walk barefoot on a patch of grass or plain old soil, or the wet sand at the beach, or take a dip in the lake or ocean. Or bring an Earthing sheet, mat, pad, or body band on your trip so you can ground yourself inside.
Do whatever works for you.
Twenty minutes. An hour. Take a grounded nap or sleep the night grounded.
Recently, a health writer blogged about whether grounding could be “the world’s simplest jet lag cure.” Here’s her article: www.wellandgood.com/good-travel/earthing-grounding-jet-lag-cure-explained/
Among the feedback we have seen over the years is the following:
● “I came off a long-haul flight feeling dreadful. My body was telling me to sit on the Earth, so when I reached my destination I sat on the lawn of my friend’s garden. I can hardly describe the relief I experienced. So healing.”
● “I fly to the UK from South Africa every second year to visit my daughter. It can be really tiring and the jet lag does so get to one. I just take off my shoes and dig my toes into the lovely green lawn once home and I can feel all the stress and jet lag leaving my body. It is almost as if Mother Earth absorbs the tiredness and stress. The more I do this over the next few days the quicker the tiredness leaves my body.”
● “Going from California to France, we slept grounded for 90 minutes upon arrival. No jet lag at all, and usually I suffer with it for 2 weeks.”
● “I’ve flown to and from China every year for five years. Every time I came back to the States it would take me 2-3 weeks to get completely over jet lag and then it would take me 1-2 weeks to get over it when I returned to China. The time difference is 12-13 hours. I’m a pretty erratic sleeper in the first place so the jet lag was always tough for me. Somebody told me about sleeping grounded. Skeptical, I tried the mat. Surprisingly, I was over jet lag within three days. I couldn’t believe it!”
● From Jim Bagnola, motivational speaker, Fairfield, Iowa (2012): “I travel constantly around the world for my work. When I arrive at foreign destinations and check into my hotel, I walk barefoot on grass wherever I can find it. Sometimes it is right in front of the hotel or in the courtyard. I do 20 minutes, and sometimes people will come up to me and ask what I am doing. I attempt to tell them about grounding and jet lag, and they look at me as if I am crazy. I also sleep grounded. This works for me better than all the treatments, remedies, and gadgets I have tried previously to counteract jet lag.”
● CG, male, 74, and wife, 66, from Utah. My wife has pretty bad arthritis, and Earthing makes the pain go away. We just feel better. My heart, maybe 90% improvement. My wife’s arthritis, 90% improvement. When we have traveled overseas we take a 1/2 sheet with us, wake up next morning absolutely no jet lag.”
How exactly does grounding help beat jet lag? Here’s our theory: At any point on the planet, the Earth’s surface electric potential (level) fluctuates according to the position of the sun and moon, creating such cycles as the circadian cycle. Grounding yourself after a long flight basically resets your inner clockwork to “local time” on the ground, and thus helps to reduce the jet lag.
The following testimonial is not a jet lag issue, but demonstrates how Earthing can normalize an abnormal circadian rhythm. From Stan Fong, 64, retired television technical director, Sacramento (2020): “I was skeptical at first about Earthing, but thought I would give it a try for at least 2 weeks and see what happens. The first day I grounded barefoot for 15 minutes on my lawn with no effect. The second day I did 30 minutes. That night I started to feel tired around 12:30am. I eventually went to bed at 1am. I woke up the next morning at 7am. I worked swing shift for 26 years at a TV station was never able to go to sleep before 2am. It has been 14 years since I left the TV station. I still couldn’t go to bed before 2am until I started earthing. I was totally blown away. I have continued to earth for a minimum of 30 minutes. Each day I feel myself getting tired around midnight still wanting to stay up but giving in at 1am and then waking up at 7am or earlier feeling fully rested. I wake up naturally without an alarm. I referred to the Earthing cortisol study and saw how my pattern lines up with the study. Cortisol dips lowest at midnight and peaks at 8am. Now as the sun rises earlier I’m waking up earlier even with the blinds closed and dark in the bedroom. This has been a most profound effect for me.
“My friends and family have noticed a definite change in me. They say I seem more energetic and look younger. I’m no longer a skeptic. I’m telling everyone what earthing has done for me. I feel great and more like a normal person going to bed earlier and waking up earlier like most people. I enjoy the cool summer mornings Earthing in my backyard. It took 14 years to finally get off my sleep habit. Earthing is what did it for me.”