In early 2015, Barbara, a disappointed West Coast businesswoman, contacted us to say that she had been grounding for three nights and hadn’t experienced any improvements.
“I want so to be among the people who have great results,” she said. “But right now I am a little discouraged. Maybe my sleep is a little better, but nothing obvious and miraculous. I am so hopeful, even desperate, to be well.”
Barbara, 57, is the proprietor of a landscape business. She said she has had chronic insomnia ever since her college days. Over time she developed adrenal exhaustion, anxiety, depression, chronic coughing, and joint and muscle pain flares. She’d lived in a compromised state for the previous eight years, and been fatigued continually for almost a year-and-a-half. At the end of 2013, she became severely ill and weak, and had to be treated repeated times at the emergency room or in urgent care.
Stress played a big part in her health problems, she admitted.
Doctors had provided little help or guidance.
“They cared, but they didn’t know what to do with me, other than to prescribe medication,” she said. When one physician put her on an anti-depressant, her exhaustion and despair only deepened. “If only I could have slept, I could have climbed out of this awful pit. But sleep to me was unattainable.”
Two naturopaths told her the problem was adrenal exhaustion, something that conventional doctors often do not recognize. They said her recovery would be complex and slow. They suggested natural remedies. Very slowly she began feeling better but for more than a year she still felt compromised, “a shadow of who I used to be.”
“I needed something to work,” she said. “I was desperate. I was still not sleeping well.”
By chance, Barbara came across an online health forum where Earthing was mentioned. The idea resonated with her. She read the Earthing book and obtained an Earthing sheet.
“I had more hope for complete recovery than I had had in a very long time,” she said.
And that’s why she contacted us after three nights of sleeping grounded and feeling disappointed that her expected dramatic relief hadn’t come.
Many people like Barbara are hopeful that Earthing will generate a quick and significant turnaround in health. When it doesn’t happen as soon as expected, they contact us.
From our side, we can’t predict how fast any particular individual will respond to grounding. We know that grounding works, whether dramatically or subtly, and at many levels.
In Barbara’s case, we told her that we have heard from people over the years with adrenal exhaustion, typically a result of chronic stress, who have reported major improvement. We asked her to be patient and be grounded as much as possible. We directed her to read our article that we wrote specifically for people who are new to Earthing.
About a month later, Barbara contacted us again – with good news.
“I am sleeping longer and more soundly than I have slept in years,” she said. “My energy and vitality are vastly improving. My blood pressure is improving, my aches and pains are far less pronounced. I believe all the other therapies I’ve been doing needed the Earthing as a sort of catalyst to experience true recovery. Earthing has been the missing ingredient. I told two family members about my experience and they, too, started grounding. One with asthma and one started to speed athletic recovery. Both are seeing results and are very enthusiastic.”
Barbara said her life had changed in a single month of grounding: “hugely improved sleep, less joint and muscle pain, feeling less foggy, and, gratefully, having my joy of life return.”
With renewed energy, Barbara was also able to re-energize her business that had suffered due to her personal health and the overall economic malaise.
In October 2015, Barbara contacted us again to report she was “doing amazingly well.”
She hardly recognizes herself, neither can others, she said. “I’ve healed. I’m sleeping well. Handling the added stress of new business excellently. I’m in an uphill spiral so to speak. I feel whole and strong, and so grateful.”
Other Insomnia stories
● From a man in Australia: “For years I suffered chronic insomnia, caused mainly by ongoing gut trouble. Nothing helped. When I started sleeping grounded on a grounding sheet, however, my sleep began to improve. The improvement was very slow at first; just one good sleep in the first week. In the next three weeks the sleep varied, sometimes good, sometimes disrupted and restless. After a month the good sleeps began to be a regular occurrence – every two or three days, but with a few hours’ sleep even on the bad nights. After three months I was sleeping fairly regularly. Now after two years, my insomnia has vanished. Of course, I have to get up about once a night, but that is probably average for most 53 year-olds. It has to be the sheet, as I made no major changes to diet, lifestyle or routine during this period.”
● From a 2017 review of the Earthing book on Amazon.com: “I haven’t slept well in over 10 years. My sleep quality has consistently gotten worse since I finished college and got a job. I used to go outside all the time and many times barefoot since I lived near a beach. Sometimes it would be so nice outside that I would fall asleep and wake up the next morning outside. I never had any problems with sleep during my younger years but after graduating, getting a job and trying to work my way up the ladder I became ill. I no longer lived near a beach, I didn’t have the time to go outside and my commute was a total of four hours every day. I slept maybe four to five hours a day and started to become depressed and easily agitated. I tried everything from hypnosis, music, pills, diet, etc but nothing worked to assist my sleep.
“During my desperation I came across this book and immediately started to ground myself while reading. I noticed my sense of well-being and energy levels drastically improved after just one hour. I finished this book over the weekend and was compelled to purchase their electrodes and blankets. My first night with the electrodes and blanket I slept for the entire 8 hour period and didn’t wake up until my alarm went off. It was like magic.
“After 4 weeks I had a doctor appointment and my doctor already could see a change in my appearance as I had lost a few pounds and he said I had more color. I didn’t have those circles under my eyes either. My weight, blood pressure, glucose were all now normal when they were just very high 3 months ago. My friends and family have been absolutely shocked with my transformation over this past month. They say I’m like a brand new person from not only my appearance but with being more social and positive. I just informed them about this book and how humans have been depriving themselves of ‘Vitamin G’ aka grounding.”
● From a 2016 book review on Amazon: “After reading the Earthing book I immediately started earthing/grounding naturally in my backyard and obtained Earthing products to ground myself at night. I have had insomnia for about a year, ever since I moved into a house where there was a Smart Meter on my back bedroom wall. Not sure if this has something to do with it or not, but if you read all the horrific health complaints people are having regarding smart meters, it is probably the likely culprit.
“Immediately when I started grounding myself during the day and night my insomnia seems to have completely disappeared. I slept nearly 9 hours the first night I had it which is unreal to me. It only has been a little over a week now of using the earthing products. But I feel great. Instead of only getting 5-6 hours of restless sleep, I have been getting 7-8 of really deep/good sleep. Yes, I realize it could be a placebo effect. But I highly doubt it at this point. Time will tell if it is or isn’t. I have more energy in the day now as well. My brain is working better. I was starting to develop memory problems due to being sleep deprived. I am not noticing that anymore. I am amazed.”
● From Karen Ball, 63, massage therapist, Beaverton, OR: “In 2011, I was in terrible shape. I had been suffering with serious insomnia for 22 years, sleeping maybe 2 -3 hours on average per night. I had developed an inability to break down carbohydrates and had other digestive difficulties, mild depression, bloating, 15 years of hot flashes, bone density issues, and severe arthritis and muscle contraction in my right hip that caused pain and restricted movement. To top it off, at 244 pounds, I was 80 pounds overweight.
“Sleeping pills, mega-doses of melatonin, antihistamines, supplements, hot baths, herbs, teas, meditation, breathing exercises, relaxation CDs, and so many more things were making little impact on my problems. I read everything and tried everything I found, many times over. I checked out every book the library had on insomnia, and read anything I could find on the web.
“In July 2011, I started sleeping on an Earthing sheet. The first three nights I didn’t get any sleep, but I had massive amounts of energy from laying on it 7-9 hours per night. Within the first 2 hours I lost considerable inflammation so that my ankles which had been severely swollen now appeared normal. I weighed myself and found I had lost 4.5 pounds of swelling those first 3 nights. Not real weight loss; just a very noticeable decrease of swelling.
“It took 6 nights before I got a good night’s sleep. But from August of 2011 to the present, August of 2013, I have had 4-8 hours of sleep every night except for 2 nights. In that time, I’ve had more than 40 nights where I slept through the night through without getting up to urinate. The better sleep is a big deal. I can only lose weight when I sleep five hours or more. I have now lost 40 pounds, and basically by not doing anything, just sleeping more. I need to lose another 40, and to do that, I’ll need to stop eating bread when I shouldn’t.
● From a doctor dealing with insomnia issues related to video game addiction (2019): “I’ve been grounding for almost one year, and I am getting amazing sleep quality. I struggled with tech overuse and video game addiction over a decade ago. Now, I think my occasional insomnia in the absence of video games is due to training my brain to play 50 to 100 hours per week of video games over a period of 10 years. During these 10 years of excessive gaming, I was sleeping on average 2 to 4 hours a night, and I essentially trained my brain to desire lack of sleep. Around October 2017, I was having months where I could only get 2 to 4 hours of sleep a night. Good sleep hygiene, melatonin pills, Ambien, and body scan relaxation did not help me sleep more. Electrically grounding my body was the thing that helped me with improved sleep quality. With grounding, I don’t need Ambien nor melatonin pills. I’ve recommended grounding the body during sleep to dozens of people, and these individuals have reported similar improved sleep quality and mental calmness. I think grounding will help with video game induced insomnia and reduced fatigue.”
● Jim Funk, 70, Florida (2020): “Addiction: Earthing, (feet on the ground), has been crucial for my ongoing recovery from online video game addiction. (1 decade/1- 5 hours daily/ 6 months of recovery). In 15-30 minutes of earthing, I consistently become calmer, happier, more focused, and spiritually connected. Earthing is more available than video games, and is now my go-to for handling stress, treating insomnia and being more spiritually connected. Knowing that within 30 minutes of earthing my mind can go from cloudy to clear and from morose to mirthful, diminishes cravings. By dramatically minimizing time to fall sleep it removes a major impetus to game.”